If there is one thing that I’d hope to help with would be bringing awareness to bad and unsafe products and bring to light all the awesome organic and safe ones I am using. Now sometimes it’s hard to go all natural.. Like Hair Color.. man who knows what is in the dye I use.. but I hope by eliminating all the other stuff.. it won’t be AS bad for me… I hope…
I understand not wanting to purchase organic products because they are expensive, but I am all for quality over quantity. After many years of trying out tons of different types of products- I have found some gems!
A few people have messaged me and asked “what organic products do I use”- SO I thought I would do a blog post on it! :) I am no expert and these are just things I have found with in research.
Note to self: Just cause it says Natural or Organic doesn’t mean SQUAT! You’ve got to get familiar with ingredients and not trust the marketing. "The hitch is, organic skin-care products aren’t necessarily pesticide- or chemical-free, despite what their name suggests. The word organic on a bottle might simply mean a product was made with "organic material" like plants or minerals — or it might mean nothing at all. Many companies are happy to exploit customers’ growing interest in natural skin care by misleading them into buying a product based on a faulty organic claim." -
Products I use:
Lotions and Body Wash: Natures Gate (took me a while to found an awesome lotion that was safe and not watery. I love too that they have a natural brozer that doesn’t contain bad chemicals.
Make Up: Alima Pure (Here was a make up review I did on them.. but pretty much in love with them and their line. I especially like them because they don’t have SPF in them. I want the choice to wear SPF and recent studies have shown that too much SPF is actually bad for our bodies..)
Mascara: Physicians Formula Organic Mascara and L’oreal Bare Naturale Mineral Mascara (Mascara is a hard make-up to find that is completely organic but here are two that we have found, worn and liked that are inexpensive and at least 80% organic.)
Face Wash: Say Yes To Carrots (I love this stuff!! Not only did they start as small company but you can surprisingly find it at Target! Their shampoo, facewash, lotion, face wipes, and eye lotion are so gentle and they have different kinds depending on the skin type.)
List of top 9 toxic ingredients that are in most products that we put on our skin:
1. Lead- A neurotoxin that can accumulate in the body over time. Found in lipsticks, hair dyes, hair care, etc. Often listed as lead and lead acetate.
2. Mercury- Known to cause damage to the brain and diminish function. Found in mascaras, etc. Often listed as mercury, thimerosol, mercuric oxide, phenyl mercuric acetate, and phenyl mercuric benzoate.
3. Phthalates- These tiny plasticizers can cause infertility, feminization of baby boys and sperm damage. Found in “fragrance,” nail polish, nail treatment, etc. Often listed as phthalate, dibutyl phthalate and diethyl phthalate. These tricky toxins can legally be left out of ingredient list, encompassed under “fragrance.” So when buying a product that does not specify fragrance as being naturally derived, I suggest contacting the company.
4. Hydroquinone- This skin bleaching ingredient can cause ochronosis, an irreversible skin condition causing black and black raised bumps on the skin. Found in skin lighteners, anti-agers, hair color/bleach, SPF products, concealer, acne treatments, astringent/toners, etc.Often listed as hydroquinone.
5. Petroleum- Byproducts of this non-renewable, industrial resource still make their way into cosmetic products despite the high-incidence of cancer causing contaminants. Found in facial cleansers, moisturizers, facial treatments, styling products, eye make-up, soap, anti-perspirants, concealer, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as petroleum, petrolatum, petroleum distillates, mineral oil, mineral spirits, unspecified waxes and paraffins.
6. Parabens- These estrogen-mimicers have been found in breast tumors, linked to breast cancer and known tocause hormonal activity in the body. Found in deodorants, lotions, eye shadows, shampoos, facial cleansers, body washes, facial moisturizers, etc. Often listed as methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, (I pretty much avoid anything ending in “paraben”).
7. Sodium Lauryl Sulfates- These commonly found chemicals have been shown to cause severe changes to the skin, though studies linking them to cancer are still debatable. Found in toothpastes, shampoos, facial cleansers, body wash, acne treatment, exfoliants, moisturizers, hair color/bleach, etc. Often listed as sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium dodecyl sulfate, sulfuric acid, monodecyl ester and monododecyl ester.
8. Formaldehyde - This awful enbalmer is not just awful smelling, it is also known to cause respiratory irritation as well as cancercancer. Found in nail polish, baby soaps, eye lash adhesives, hair products, sunscreens, etc. Often listed as formaldehyde, formalin, formic aldehyde, Merthaldehyde, methanal, methyl aldehyde, oxomethane, oxymethylene.
9. Coal Tar- A known carcinogen that still makes its way in to beauty products used daily.Found in shampoo, skintreatment, anti-redness creams, bath oils, conditioners, bath salts, bath soaks, etc. Often listed as coal, tar and coal tar solution.